Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
tam

atalose, I understand what your going through. I stopped going to meetings because I felt there werent any connections with me since my AH and I have split. dont get me wrong, the meetings helped me tremendously in the beginning.but most of the people were either living with their spouses (who were sober) or there were parents,which I feel for them all but it just seemed different for me although I know its not easy for them either.
I didnt seem to click in, there were no people on the call lists who fit my situation. nor did anyone step up and connect with me as well. I understand we all go through the same with addiction to an extent,but having losing a relationship (me was 26 years of marriage) it did some severe emotional and mental damage to me. I had no one to share it with. I oftened wondered if there were anyone out there besides me.
that being said, I went to a few therapists who I thought would help. the first one told me to keep trying to work with my ex and get him into rehab, that didnt work of course and wasnt helping me, the second therapist told me to take up crocheting,ha! I was lost. how will I get through this? doesnt anyone understand? am I going crazy or the only one who is going through this? so I looked for another therapist, low and behold she is exp.with
addiction, used to work in rehab's and supported family members. I hit gold, she is great , she knows exactly what Im going through and is helping me.
I started going to divorce support as well, there too arent any ex spouses of addiction so again just dont seem to fit in.
I would love to find or start a group for people who's significant other is an addict..I think it would really be helpful as I do remember some newbies in our situation at the meetings who never came back, they would walk up to me and thank me for sharing my story but never came back and I often wished they had.
I feel lost too, but leaning on my HP to direct me and give me strength and courage to get through this.
hang in there atalose..