Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
djayr
Lord Have Mercy

Within the past week I have filed divorce papers on AW after 16 years, including 10+ of heavy vodka drinking.

Observations:

1. This really snuck up on me in the beginning, I didn't realize I was married to an alcoholic to start with, in fact, it took a siezure and DT's in intensive care in 2002, for me to realize just what a crazy deal this is.

2. The endless back-and-forth, forgiving, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 20th chances . . . was followed by ultimate FAILURE after another relapse. It makes me agree with some posts that say "like an idiot, I took her back". I hoped and hoped, and it has just gotten worse and worse.

3. My general feeling about any relationship that seems to be tipping towards one person being a full-blown alcoholic, and the other person worrying and fixing and hoping -- IF THE SOBER PARTNER CAN GET OUT EARLY, GET OUT EARLY. RUN!

I have no kids with my AW, but thanks to wonderful divorce laws, I'm pretty much flushing my first 45 years down the toilet financially and socially -- which I am assuming will be worth it, because this last time, is the last time for me.

Unless she talks me out of it. Someone please smack me if she does.

Thanks to everyone who shares, we do learn from each other, and I rejoice in the truth of these stories. Long live honesty and sobriety.

Blessings!