View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

hi mybump and WELCOME to SR. I'm glad you found this place. SR saved my butt so many times.

Like Starcat said, HIS drinking = HIS problem. He's a grown man and if he decides that he wants to drown himself in booze and coke, then he's entitled to it. Whether or not he drags you and your children down with him is YOUR decision.

You have power over one thing: yourself. You can decide what you find acceptable in your relationship and what you don't.

From the sounds of your post, your boyfriend isn't at all ready to discuss recovery, so there's really no question about "sticking it out and helping him", since he clearly doesn't want any help.

Originally Posted by mybump View Post
I don't know if I should stand by him and help him through it or if I should run so my baby isn't raised always feeling like he/she can't compete with the alcohol/drugs...That is how I feel so what impact will it have on an innocent child??
I am the mother of a 2 year old toddler and the former spouse of an alcoholic. I strongly advise you to distance yourself from this man, who is obviously becoming abusive with you as he progresses in his disease. Your children deserve a sane, healthy and SAFE home, and being with your boyfriend will bring nothing of that to your lives.