View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
MarlinVX

Originally Posted by kiki5711 View Post
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. We all know very well there's good doctors, there's bad doctors and it's up to US to ASK for information and decide if we're going to take the recommendation from the doctor or not. Whatever happened to "second opinion"? If you don't feel trustworthy to one doctor, why not go to a different one?
I see your point, but still disagree. The doctors will very rarely be good, for as long as the sums of money involved are so ridiculous. Money corrupts all. Telling me to not trust my doctor and decide for myself is the right decision? I am supposed to argue with 8 years of schooling and so on. I doubt that. Especially in the infantile stages of treatment. Having never experienced anything like this at 20 years old, there was no reason to question the advice of a doctor. By the time the damage is done, the addiction is set, the brain is affected and she is in the full throws of addiction.
As I mentioned before, if your house was on fire, would you shop around for a fire department to figure out if they will best combat the casualty? No, you would trust them to do their jobs. Do you interview the pilot of an airplane before you get on board? Nope, you trust the pilot to do his job. And so on. We are supposed to trust our highly trained, board approved doctors. We take doctors orders. She did get second, third, fourth opinions, but since the system is corrupt, they all gave her the same meds. She was in their office 10 minutes, they gave her the meds, she went about her day. It made her feel better, it made her symptoms go away. She was cured!!! Praise the Lord!! By the time we realized what was really going on, it was far too late, those meds cure nothing, they only mask the real problem, and subsequently create a far more dangerous situation. Why would you prescribe a medicine that doesn't cure anything? It is like giving a child pain killers for a broken arm, but never putting it in a cast. It isn't going to help him, may make him feel better, but certainly not help him.

Address the cause of sleep loss, address the cause of the anxiety, address the cause of the pain. Maybe most times the answer is to suck it up. If you can drive your butt to the doc to begin with, you are probably fine and just need to get over it. As someone mentioned earlier, we are a society of pill poppers and easy answers. We are willing to pay for those pills, and it is a HUGE HUGE HUGE economy of drugs. If you think the docs are out to help people, see what happens if you lowered their salary to 40K a year. See how many doctors stick around. Social workers have a crappy job. They get paid practically nothing, yet have thankless, horrible jobs. That is a person that cares, not some BMW driving fake doctor (psychiatrists are not real doctors)

Could my wife have refused the meds, sure, but when multiple doctors tell you the same thing, and the temptation of an easy solution is dangled "safely" before your eyes, you will always choose the easy route. Even now, the doctor wants to prescribe her more meds, why? They caused all this to begin with. Why not just take away all the chemicals, we are past the dangerous detox stuff, let her sit it out. Instead, he wants to dope her up and send her home. He continues to get paid for her ongoing prescriptions, and has very little risk for liability if she is not at the facility. Seems like a win win for him.