Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
atalose

My support system seems to be shrinking…..

I’ve been in al-anon for 5 years, same home group, I’ve visited other meetings but they just don’t have the same feel as the one I am most comfortable with. I had a lot of interaction with older and newer members. In Nov when I announced at a meeting that I left my 10 year relationship because he was using again, my support seemed to shift, fewer phone calls, fewer emails and some older members explained to me it was because maybe I took their own hope away about salvaging relationships leaving is too real for many to face right now.

I get annoyed with my “normie” friends because they seem so callous with comments and I find I get annoyed even talking about my issues or my sadness or my experiences because I get comments like, get over it – you’ll be better off – why did you continue to put up with him you had to see this coming AGAIN!! Those kinds of statements feel like swords cutting through me and I don’t find them helpful as a matter of fact it makes me pull away from these friends or close myself off about the subject all together.

There was a nar-anon meeting I went to but it was filled with parents, there was no one there like me and I again felt alone with this issue.

I know I can post here but face to face really has an impact on me and the few times I went for counseling I seemed to get the same type of response from the counselor, leave and don’t look back!! Not exactly what I wanted to hear.

As strange as this may sound, the more I read and find out about and understand addiction, it helps me NOT take so many things so personally.

Guess this is just a vent and looking for support and not trying to take anyone’s HOPE away.