Old 01-31-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

Idul, I agree about talking to the DV folks because they have resources available that are very practical and helpful. But I also strongly suggest you go to AlAnon. I have been in similar situations as you are in now, that is, struggling to keep my head above water with my own issues and problems while an alcoholic has me by one ankle and an addict by the other ankle, both trying to pull me under, all while people who cannot handle their own lives dump truckloads of concrete blocks on my head and shoulders, further drowning and trapping me under. AlAnon (and anti-depressants which I needed because I was severely clinically depressed) saved my life. And it taught me the tools I needed to learn in order to navigate these treacherous waters, such as those you have found yourself in.

My simple answer to your request for help in your situation is to fall out of contact with these people, all of them, immediately. There is nothing you can do to help them, change the problems, or make it easier for them to cope. If you really need to, give them the phone number of the local AlAnon chapter and then cut them off. If you can't cut your mother off completely, then you must tell her not to dump her problems on you as you cannot cope right now. That is what I would do. Hopefully you can find something useful in that.

Please take good care of yourself and get yourself surrounded by strong, supportive people who know exactly what you are going through-AlAnon.