View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
tallulah

*scrambles out of the lake, having used an estate agent as a boost* I'm a lawyer. Don't shoot!

I'm in the UK so different systems as it were, but if the US is anything like here, most lawyers offer an initial free interview/consult.. it might be worth calling around and seeing if anyone near you offers the same. Also, maybe do some investigative work and see if there are any organisations that offer free advice/pro bono (?).

I have no experience of your particular situation, but like you, I am the 'fixer' in my profession. People come to me and I take care of their needs: they have an issue, I solve it, I advise, they place reliance on me. This does not prepare you for life with someone with an addiction. I too thought, in my ignorance I suppose, that there was nothing I couldn't fix about my relationship with my ex. It was hard to swallow some of the advice here and at Al-anon, because after all, I was a capable resourceful and determined woman! I was wrong. It is nothing like you have ever experienced before. In the workplace I was dealing with level-headed, rational, thoughtful people.. at home I was dealing with the opposite and no amount of intelligence, stoicism or pure determination was going to shift that stubborn mule.

I agree with the analogy of the drowning man, it's an excellent metaphor. By all means try to save her, if that is what in your heart and mind you want/need to do, but educate yourself and put a network around you of people whose counsel you trust so that (if/when it comes to it) you can swim to the shore safely.

Welcome to SR

Tx