Old 01-31-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

every weekend we have to go out to the bar and i have to sit there and watch him get completely drunk beyond belief....What is this considered??
This is considered you choosing to go to a bar every weekend to be ignored and babysit a grown man getting ****-faced and flirting with other women. You do not HAVE to do anything. You choose to. Is this really the way you want to spend the rest of your life?

He is affecting me because I cant trust him when we go out. I dont know how he is going to act. I feel like I have to babysit a child. Is binge drinking addictive? Could he just stop his weekend binges if he wanted to or does he need professional help? He never has withdrawels.
I am glad you do not trust him because from your posts he does not sound like a trustworthy mate. I do not understand the meaning of your question, "Is binge drinking addictive?" There is such a thing as alcoholics who are binge drinkers. I am one of them. I can go weeks, months and years without drinking but I am still an alcoholic. It does not matter whether you have withdrawals or hangovers, you can still be an alcoholic without them. Yes, he could just stop his weekend binges if he wanted. Whether or not he needs professional help is entirely up to him.

Where he lives, there are 20+ bars within walking distance so driving is never an issue. He lives next door to a bar! He is 34 years old and has another male roomate that is 34. He works 3 hours a day at his job an then goes home to lay on the couch.
It's pretty "normal" for an alcoholic to live in this kind of neighborhood, surrounded by bars. It sounds to me like he has arranged his entire life in order to accomodate his alcoholic lifestyle.

He is in sales so he is capable of doing this and I dont know how he hasnt gotten fired after 8 years at his job.
This means nothing. If you are looking at his ability to keep this job as an indication that he is not an alcoholic, my guess is you are wrong. I am sure he has this particular job because he CAN work 3 hours a day and then go home and do whatever he wants.

Weekends he walks to the bars, gets drunk, says mean things to me if I question him and passes out. Never is abusive but if i suggest doing something other than drinking on the weekends he's in a bad mood then he goes out the next night to make up for it.
You say he is never abusive but what you have described in your posts sounds very abusive to me.

I feel in my heart this isnt normal!!!
Whether or not he is "normal" is beside the point duqld17. This is not something that needs fixing, nor is it something you can fix. There is nothing wrong with him; he is simply an alcoholic. And again, he does not sound to me like someone who thinks he should want to change his home, his life, his friends, his roommates, his job, or any other part of his lifestyle in order to accomodate your opinions or feelings.

You can choose to step off the rollercoaster.