View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
stilllearning

"He really thinks he is ready."

For what? Because having a baby is a major, major stressor. If he can't financially support a child is he saying that he would stay home while you earn enough for the three of you? Please read these forums - worst case scenario is that you end up having to care for two children - and alcoholic who isn't in real recovery or relapses and goes back out again can make a baby look like a walk in the park. Many, many women on here have chosen to parent alone rather than put themselves and their child through the hell of living with an alcoholic. And if two years into recovery he is still sensitive to multiple stressors to the point that he's worried his sobriety is in jeopardy (it's a major red flag that he isn't working a program right now) then adding a baby into the mix is not a great idea.

On your part, you're willing to rely on someone you've known for 20 weeks, and to put your future and the future of your possible offspring into his hands when he's giving you every possible reason for pause. If I'd known someone 20 weeks and they were leaning on me to apply for better paying jobs to prepare for something that hadn't even happened yet and may not ever happen, I would see that as a major red flag.

I know this all may sound quite blunt - and I don't mean for it to. I just hate to think of a child being born into a situation that you haven't even gotten a handle on yet. It takes about 18 months for the honeymoon stage to wear off even in a healthy relationship. That whole 18 months you're learning about someone and getting a clear eyed view of them. After a year and a half you have a pretty good idea of who someone is. You haven't even really left the starting blocks yet and you're in such a hurry to make permanent, lifelong decisions for both yourself and a child. Don't you owe it to yourself and that child to make sure that both you and this man are in a sound enough place to do the best that you can for it?

SL.