View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

My A was more like fourmaggie's, but again, not everyone is the same.

From what I understand talking to a few people I know who go to AA, there's a large percentage who feel guilty and responsible for everything going wrong all around them. Instead of doing what the average person would do, and try to take responsibility for their actions and make amends to fix them, they feel SO guilty and SO overwhelmed that they sink deeper into the bottle to escape it, and try to shift the blame onto others. (Not all of them believe the blame shifting themselves, but at least most of them hope the person/people they're shifting blame onto believe them.)

You already gave your ultimatum, if you don't continue to follow through on that he will start taking you less and less seriously.
His recovery is his. Your recovery is yours. You need to do what is best for you and your daughters.
This doesn't have to be the "ending" either... Some people have gotten divorced, then remarried later after both sides had time to work through their problems and work on their recovery. Others have gone their separate, opposite ways.
Just move forward with what feels like the right thing to do this very moment, and recognize that you have no idea what the future may hold. Everything has its own time, and you won't know what happens until you get there.