View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Hi there,

Well, you've come to the right place! Sorry you're having to deal with all of this, but there are many others here who have been pretty much where you are.

You don't have to make any huge decisions right now, so take a few deep breaths. You are wise to consider the effect on your children of living in an alcoholic household.

I would suggest finding some Al-Anon meetings. Alcoholism is a very tricky disease to deal with, whether you are an alcoholic or have to live with the consequences of someone else's drinking. If your husband is an alcoholic, it isn't as easy as making the decision to quit drinking.

I'll be interested to hear what the "big news" is on Monday. I'd be very surprised if he were announcing he is quitting drinking. My bet is that it's something about making more money. If there is a discussion about his drinking, my bet is that he will claim that whatever wonderful thing is about to come to pass will solve all of your problems, including his need to drink so much.

People do recover from alcoholism (though the disease itself is never "cured"). My first husband has been sober for 31 years, and I have been sober for two and a half years. But most of us alcoholics have to desperately want to quit drinking before we are able to do the necessary work to recover.

Keep taking good care of yourself and your kids, no matter what he does. Al-Anon can help you get your head clear so you can make good decisions about your future.