View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
luckycharm4

Unhappy Where do we go from here??

Hi, I am new to all of this. I have never posted or commented on a thread, or dated anyone with substance and/or alcohol abuse problems; so I'm hoping to get some perspective on what I should do. I started dating my significant other about 3.5 years ago. He is kind, and thoughtful. Handsome and smart...but that is all when he isn't drinking. When he drinks, which has gotten even worse over the last 6 months he is another person. He falls everywhere, he uses drugs, he calls out of work (only in the last 6 months). He started having seizures (about 1.5 years ago) the drinking only made it worse. He has been in and out the hospital numerous times and most recently he admitted he needed help. He went to detox for 2 weeks and then moved into a "recovery home" the program was suppose to last anywhere from 4-6 months. Seizures from what I know stopped. He could work, but travel time took him a while and he paid to share a room and live there. This only lasted about a month and he went back to his old apartment against my wishes (I offered every resource I had in order to be able to compromise, so we were both content) and immediately started drinking again. It has been about 5 days and I haven't heard from him and he won't answer my calls or texts (something else he does a lot when he is drinking and using). I don't know what to do. I feel like this could be life or death for him. We are only in our mid-twenties and again I just don't know what to do. I never imagined everything turning out this way. I knew it would never be "poof...all better", but I just don't know how to handle this or help him, help himself. His family is no help what-so-ever, and I'm scared. I invested so much into making this a great relationship and planning for our future, which he says he wants too. Any insight or help is much appreciated.