Old 01-28-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zrx1200R

This is an excellent question. I've wondered the same. My AW is going to 3+ meetings a day. She doesn't work. She's using the cover of the meetings to drink. She often goes straight from the meeting to the liquor store. The deceit is now a complicated web of lies. Where she used to just be passed out on the couch at home. She now brags about being sober for 6 months. Ha Ha. Just last night I stumbled upon another receipt for a bottle, from 2 days ago.

She's learned much from AA about how to hide her drinking. It is a safe bet that the only times I know for certain she's slipped, due to unmistakable evidence, are not the only times she's drinking.

I see no way it will work out long term for us. Our home life is better certainly, as her behavior is overall improved. Only someone who has been shaped by years of Alcoholic behavior would think it is good. It is only improved from what it was. AA has become her focus. It is all about her. I'm glad she's trying to get help, and understand I'm powerless to effect her change. Reading through the posts here, it seems the most prevalent solution is to work up the courage to leave the Alcoholic. It takes the Alcoholic many many years and usually several attempts to get real sobriety. I am continuing to work my exit strategy.

You sure yours has been sober for 6 months? I think 6 months of sobriety would bring some welcome changes and a desire to be with family and friends. I think spending so much time at AA might be an indicator the Alcoholic is still drinking, trying to come to grips with his problem.