View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
atxniner

My wife and what to do

My wife has been drinking for quite a while at least the last 7 years on and off. I'm not sure if this is where to post but I don't know what else to do. I do have a supportive family(somewhat,my dad was also a heavy violent drinker when i was younger). She started hiding the bottles in the house and I guess I just didn't realize how bad it was. I would just tell her that she needed to stop drinking everyday and she would for a while then I restricted her access to our money and she went to some meetings. I looked at her over time as a functioning alcoholic so I didnt do anything as far as ultimatums. We also have a 7 year old daughter and I should have been thinking of her that whole time. Well it has gone from bad to worse, she went to work on Monday drunk and had got fired. Her boss had called me and asked if i had heard from my wife and i said no, she paused and sounded concerned so i asked her what was going on and that is when she explained to me about her being drunk. She had told my wife that she was going to drive her home but my wife told her she was going to call me and took off. I tried to call her to tell her to stay where she was but no luck. Anyway long story short she tried to drive home and hit curbs and apparently bumped into a lady no damage, but they were following her and stopped her and called the police. As i was home with my daughter we went looking for her, i had to bring her with me she ended up being down the street from our house (daughter had to be there while she got arrested). She was beyond drunk the worst I have seen her not knowing what was going on. Cops came and took her to jail. My dilemma is I have told her that she needs to go and stay with her Dad while she recovers as I cannot have her around our daughter till she gets better(still love her). She has attended one AA meeting all ready so i guess that's a start. There is just so much that I am going to have to deal with because of this as I will be on my own with everything financially. I feel real bad about her not being here but don't know what else to do. She seems content with getting better and I'm sure she wants to stay here just think she needs to focus on herself.Im not going to totally cut her off from her daughter she can come see her, just need her to get better so that we can continue our lives together. Am I doing the right thing?