View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Shellcrusher

Welcome to SR. Sounds like you started your post just fine and we've all been there or are there or might be there. Bottom line is that we generally understand your situation.

With that said, I know how you feel.
You just can't do anything right and even when you know you're trying hard, it's just not enough.

He's going through his recovery and he has put himself first. It's his priority. A good book that I've found helpful for me is Codependent No More by Melody Beattie. It might shed a little light on what you're experiencing and why.

Edit: I wanted to answer your last question. Are you doing the right thing? My answer is no, you're not doing the right thing but let me qualify that a little bit. You say you need to know what you can do better for him. You say you will give up your life as you know it. I say, you need to know what's best for you and I'd also suggest that you never give up your life as you know it for someone else. That's just a cold hard fact and while it may seem foreign to you right now, give it some time. Keep reading other posts and hopefully you'll start to understand why that is so important.

A general thought you'll see posted here is that you should put yourself 1st always. Keep posting and keep reading. The people and this forum are fantastic.