View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
NikNox

Thanks Kiki, we know that's the only way she'll come live with us, and at the moment she would say she doesn't want to leave her mother because she still feels responsible for her mum and is protective of her. Over the years people have told us that one day she will vote with her feet, and we do expect that to happen. But, right now, if she were to appear in front of a Judge she would say she wants to stay with her mum, and because she's 12, that would carry a lot of weight in Court.

We do believe that once those teenage hormones kick in and she finds rebellion, then she will rebel against her mum because she has a hell of a lot to rebel against, and we will be there for her, as we always have been.

We're just trying, at the moment, to get our heads around why her mum does the things she does, or rather why her mum doesn't seem to want to prove to us that she can care for her daughter adequately. We feel, me especially though (as a mother myself) that trying to understand mum's mindset will help in the future. What if my stepdaughter turns round to us one day and says 'why didn't mum want to treat my headlice, or make sure my clothing was clean?'. We want to be able to give her answers, even though we know we won't be able to answer everything. We don't want her to become an adult with all these issues hanging over her, and if we can't answer her questions, to try and find someone who can.