View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Missybuns

Originally Posted by Onewithwings View Post
how do you know when a financial amends is inappropriate to make directly?
You and your sponsor can discuss this. An example of one of my amends that was "not appropiate" to make directly: I shoplifted some petty stuff from several pet stores. When I mean several...I mean all over an entire midstate region and I was high enough not to remember exactly which stores. In my quest to produce the drugs I was using, I went all over the state collecting/purchasing materials. During these traveling times I would "treat" myself by going into pet stores and getting something I wanted to spoil my little dog or cat. Sometimes I paid for it and sometimes I didn't.

Not knowing exactly which stores I took something from I couldn't make direct ammends in an appropriate way. When I didn't pay for something it was valued (a guess) at $15 or less dollars. My sponsor and I concluded this that legally this is considered "petty". However, I was stressed with the guilt and shame and responsible for what I calculated to be a total of close to $450! 30 stores X $15 =$450. (estimated)

My sponsor suggested that I could contact the Corporate office of some of the big commercial ones and ask what their favorite charity to donate to is...and send a donation.

Since doing some homework I have learned they want me to give to my local animal shelter. I found an opportunity to do so at the county fair anonymously....put $30 into their collection box. I will be continuing to make donations in that amount until I reach my goal of repaying $450

There were other petty shoplifting incidents that would not put me in jail...but collectively adds up to a significant number to be responsible for. I am not even sure which stores they were due to I always bought something and didn't always take something. My sponsor thinks its ok to pay it forward to the fellowship with each donation representing my own conscious effort to make restitution.

In cases where I know for sure what and who I owed, I made direct amends.

One of the most time consuming and had alot of footwork put in was for me to clear up my own credit score. I have gone from 0 credit to 755 since spending a good deal of time clearing off my credit report these last few years since I have been clean. I had some stuff on there from almost 20 years ago that needed removed...and it took some effort to do that! It didn't take money to do that foot work...but it did get me a loan for a vehicle (that I have since paid off!)

This has been a great thread! I hope we have helped.

Peace,
Missy