View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gmoney
Evolving Addict

Originally Posted by Onewithwings View Post
would that apply to financial amends as well? I wouldn't think so. If someone stole money from me without my knowing it, I would still want it back!
Step 9 - We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others."

I put emphasis on "wherever possible" and "or others" to make a couple of points.

In a case where money has been stolen and the victim of this harm is unaware of who stole it, for me, there are questions that arise: [1] Would it cause more harm to admit to the theft? [2] Would old wounds get reopened? [3] Would an admittance to this crime bring about criminal charges? As Sugah mentioned, we need to take into account the results of a direct amends, not avoid them because to do so would create discomfort, but thoroughly and honestly examine the potential to do more harm than good.

There are times when a direct amends just isn't possible without bringing harm to "others," including oneself. Step 9, IMO, isn't about being foolhardy and this is why sponsorship is so important. Sure...we want to correct our wrongs and make compensation for injury or loss, but if I can barely pay the mortgage, feed the kids, pay the medical bills or keep the lights on, is it really "possible" for me to pay financial restitution without consequence?

But here's the hit - there is no set time frame for direct amends. "Wherever possible" is not a date set in stone, and as long as there is a willingness to make amends, the opportunity to do so (without causing harm to others) will present itself. In the meantime, we can make indirect amends many ways, but certainly by NOT repeating the behavior.

Hmm, I owe about $1500 to one though, in stolen food, cash, lotto tickets, tobacco, and alcohol. How do I make that up?
[1] Stay clean. [2] Stop stealing food, cash, lotto tickets, tobacco and alcohol. Don't steal ANYTHING. [3] Seek guidance from your HP and your sponsor. That's a start.

G