View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
TheReader

I am new here too - just joined today

I am new although I have beeing "reading" these wonderful posts for two weeks. I dealt with my spouse's 25 yrs of alcoholism by abusing RX pills/ narcotics on and off for years to deal with my pain and became an addict. Last few years got these from internet ordering and spent lots of $ and took legal risk. Thankfully, God was watching over me

I was raised pretty much spoiled only child and never really say alcoholism. Went to college and partied myself with alcohol but never became addicted. Thought everyone who drank was lovey-dovey and had fun. After several failed relationships, I was ready at 26 to marry the first professional, good-looking guy to come along that wanted marriage and got myself the alcoholic. He only drank beer, so I had no idea what I was getting into - however, the beer was 24 a day til he passed out.

Looking back, don't know why I stayed but now he is 67 yrs old and clean for 5 years, but it bad health. I always was trying to protect everyone, the ultimate enabler and people pleaser - my parents (now passed), our only daughter (now grown), his work (now retired), my job (yes, I am still working), etc. I am ten years younger and finally off the pills, but need this support group and happy to find it.