View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DonnaJL

Same stuff, Different Day from a Newbie

Hi all,
I don't know if a forum can help me, but I am fighting this fight virtually alone as my partner of 20 years is alcoholic and while I have tried to enlist his family to help, I am the only person who has to deal with his drunk personality while everyone else only sees the 'good' guy and I guess it's hard for them to relate. He finally went off on me in front of his sister a couple months ago and she, admittedly, didn't believe it was her brother that was behaving in such a hostile and belligerent and bullying manner toward me but I go through that on a regular basis and nobody ever sees it.
He doesn't see his drinking as a problem, he goes to work and so far, it hasn't caused any major problems although his boss has confronted him because he smelled like booze and my guy told him that he had been drinking the night before. He's not fooling anyone, they know he's a drunk but its a gov't job and nobody cares.
He is in denial that his drunken verbal and emotional abuse is a problem for me, and blames me for any fight that we get into. I really fear that the booze is causing brain damage because he says stuff when he's trashed that is so illogical and unreasonable and there is no way to argue with a drunk and expect to make sense.
If I could get out, I would go but circumstance are such that it's not possible so I am stuck in this situation.
I still love him very much and really want to get him healthy and there are times he says that he wants to quit too, but he's not strong enough and is unwilling to do the work. He will on occasion, stop and will shake badly for a couple of days but then he is fine and our life is great, no fighting or anything until he slips back, usually in 2 or 3 months. It's so frustrating because he makes it look so easy, and to start up again when things are so great is just heart wrenching for me.
Well, I could go on, but thanks for listening. I have nobody to talk to about this who really understands.