View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
jme2788

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
Depends on you own body chemistry, extent of prior abuse, nutrition etc. In general most people start to feel really good after a year. I soooo get the instant gratification mindset. For me, my natural maturation process was severely stunted. The only thing else I can add that may help is to make an effort to surround yourself with people you actually like and respect. Took me a little to figure out who those kind of people are, but I know I know it now. Welcome to the journey. You can't appreciate the sweet with out the bitter....
That's encouraging and at the same time a bummer. I have heard it takes around 6 months minimum for the whole brain chemistry thing to level out but for most people it's about a year. I don't know why I think I should be healed bodily and mentally after 4 months sober when I was using from age 14-22, not to mention a selfish S.O.B. since I was born :p I agree about the maturation process. I was going to live off of my parents money (that they don't have enough to support an addict/alcoholic) forever I thought. Why would I want to grow up if it takes work and I can depend on them??? hah.

I really don't like hanging out with people unfortunately, not because I don't like them but because I am not real comfortable in my own skin. It's not always like that but when I get down it's hard to get my mind off of myself and be social. That said I don't isolate anymore fortunately. I go out to eat Saturday mornings with a group of guys that are from my AA group and I like and respect them.

cant enjoy the sweet without the bitter?? I think you're dead on with that.