Thread: new here, hello
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jols

new here, hello

Hi everyone. I just found this board and have been reading for awhile (in fact, I'm up way too late). I'm feeling slightly nauseous with the realization that none of what I've been going through for the past 4.5 years is really unique, and I'm amazed that I ever thought it was (I mean, everyone's experience is unique, but I just can't believe how similar some of these stories are to mine).
I guess I don't have the energy right now to tell my whole story, but I just wanted to say thanks for helping me realize that I'm not alone (I wish I would've realized years ago). My ABF had been sober for a couple of months, but just moved to another state to take a new job (he's finishing up his PhD and took a job related to his degree). Of course he didn't tell anyone in his new town that he's not drinking/has a drinking problem and so he's been drinking for the past week (I just found this out when I called him on Friday night). I flipped out, to put it mildly, and he has responded by seemingly coming to his senses (he's actually a really smart guy...sometimes) and going straight back to AA (he went to meetings when he originally sobered up, but stopped once I let him move back in with me and since he seemed to be doing so well I didn't push it. Big mistake.)
So he's been to 3 meetings over the weekend and is in the process of "coming out" to his roommate, co-workers, etc.
What I'm really struggling with at the moment is trust. I don't want to spend the rest of my life waiting for the other shoe to drop, and from what I gather that's what Al-anon is for, so I'm going to try a meeting tomorrow.
Right now I'm just not sure how I feel about a lot of things, but it's nice to know that others have been through this before. I look forward to learning from all of you.
Jen