Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
capsized

Dating Recovered Alcoholic who has suddenly shut me out

i have been dating a recovering alcoholic who has been clean and sober for 5 years. it's the first time i've ever dated anyone with such a background, so the actions he takes are really new to me. the 4 months we've been dating had been absolutely wonderful. he was so attentative and took all initiative, from being the one to call me, plan dates, impulsively set up breakfast out before work, and making all the plans to go on trips together. i noticed he had some trust issues about people so the only ones he was comfortable with were from long time developed relationships - basically, just his best friends, a couple who have known him since recovery. since recovery he has lived his life by working and isolating himself at home. going out only consisted of family engagements that he was absolutely obligated to do, and time spent with his best friends (the couple). his last relationship/commitment before me was 3 years ago and the story i got from him was that he was an a$$hole and she left him for it. he's dated 2 girls since then, and both were instantly put off by him once he let them see who he was and so it never went past a couple dates. when we first started hanging out, i got the whole story too - im a recovering alcoholic, im an a$$hole, etc. i heard all the "horrible" stories he chose to share and wasnt put off by them. i didnt see an a$$hole i saw a guy who just had a thick sarcastic sense of humor and was somewhat tactless, blunt, and what others would say is crude. but i am just the same. we are a walking seinfeld episode x10 when it comes to how we interact with the public. when i didnt bolt after hearing his "horror" stories, he started to really open up to me. it even surprised his friends how he was letting me into his life. he has this really bad issue about having people in his home, even his best friends have rarely been allowed in. so you could imagine their surprise when he instantly invited me over on our first hang out and had since been really comfortable with me around. i learned from his friends that he has never even brought a girl he was dating to his home. he told me he couldnt explain it but that he just felt extremely comfortable with me for some reason and it was suddenly not an issue when it was me. our relationship continued to progress, and the last week he seemed to have changed. there was even more opening up and he was really acting like he was falling head over heels for me. then in a matter of one day, he completely closed off and told me that he was leaving me to get back with his ex. but there is no ex. and so for the last 2 weeks since the break up, he's just gone back to his routine. wake, go to work, come home and isolate with the tv. the only time he's not home is when he's at work or when his best friends swing by to take him to dinner. i know this because he lives down the lake from me and it's not hard to miss. so im wondering if this is something that addicts with trust issues do?