Old 01-23-2011, 12:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
pennywistle

I have been thinking of this post ever since I read it last night.
I have had some friends go into recovery, A.A., or just change their lifestyle to some degree or another and some of those friendships were severed.
I thought that my friends would remain the same friend I had as before but they changed *a lot* and in some ways that I didn't expect.
Some of those changes were deliberate; they needed to shed their old friends (including me), some just drifted away due to going to meetings non-stop and making new friends and getting new insights.
I took it very personally and thought that recovery turned people into jerks. Well sometimes it really did, but the bottom line is that I feel better having them end a friendship with me to get better than end their life over their addiction.

It must be so much worse if it's your spouse, S.O., or best friend, but perhaps their change is our wake up call that we need to meet them halfway and change ourselves too. I really hope this didn't sound condescending.
I'll pray that whatever happens from this, it all works out for the best for both of you.