View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SandyM12345

Hi All First Post

Hi everyone. I am new to your wonderful message board here, but certainly not new to addiction. I am with an alcoholic and possible drug user. I spent years trying to change him. Sometimes it worked for a bit, and sometimes it didn't. I know more about addiction than I ever cared to know. I go to alanon, and have read many many books, but this is the first time I have ever posted on a site like this.

It seems like, for years, I have been trying to get my alcoholic boyfriend to stop drinking. I've tried threats, compromises, EVERYTHING possible under the sun.

In August, I returned to college. In just the recent past, I have noticed a HUGE change in myself. I spend the majority of my free time studying and worrying about my future. It's not something I consciously planned to have happen, but I don't worry and stress about him the way I once did not so long ago.

He is mad at me right now. For what, I am not sure. A few days ago, he stayed out most of the night and didn't make it to work the next day. I got up, took our son to school, and went to class. He called a few hours later asking why I didn't wake him. I told him he should have set the alarm..I had no idea what time he needed up. His work hours vary greatly. He is nitpicky about stupid things around the house, but I would once have spent entire days trying to figure out whats wrong with him. And, of course, I would alter my life to make him happy. His pleasure in life is drinking. After I have worked a long day, I WANT to come home to my family. I enjoy them.

So, I just am amazed with myself right now. I didn't see this coming. There's more to life than following an alcoholic around trying to fix him. lol

Life is great!!!!!!!!!!!