Old 01-22-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
ToBeSerene

SO sorry MG ... I went through a very similar time with my AH about 20 months ago (he was 42 then). When he went in, he also went through DT's which caused alot of confusion and general "snarkiness" and agrumentive behavior - he almost walked out.

He was golden yellow in color, swollen belly, the whole thing. 48 hrs into his stay the Doc called my late one evening to tell me his liver was failing and he could not have a transplant because it was drinking related. I could have died on the spot.

Started sleeping in the hospital with him becuase I was so scared (still a codie 100%, stared alanon after this) but the Psychologist noted that he could have confused "spells" becuase his liver couldn't process amonia (verify this!) that then went to the brain and caused confusion. I think it was called lactulose.

My other word of advice is the pain killers they gave him while detoxing and the pain from the liver, accumulated in the liver and caused him to almost stop breathing when he slept. The night nurse caught it - simply counting his breathes. I'm sure they look for this when alot of pain killers are administered during liver problems.

Good news ... after looking like death - his liver recovered! He spent 2 weeks in the hospital and he was so weak and sick - I drove him straight the the treatment center - 4 hours away and he had to stay. After detoxing, he relized he was very sick and didn't fight me too hard.

Fast forward: 18 months after treatment - he relapsed a couple times in a 2 month+ period. They told me that if he ever drank again, his liver would go right back to bad shape. So I drug his butt back to the doctor and had all the tests run - his liver was fine. The liver is the most AMAZING organ we have! I was hoping for some "slightly" bad numbers just to scare him back to sobriety but that didn't work out. He's still slipping every 10-18 days but I'm literally steps away from where you are now: TOO much has happened and I don't love him as a husband anymore.

Hang in there << hugs >>. Allow your friends and family to support you and your daughter. You sound like you have a good perspective ... you "know" it's not your fault - your shouldn't feel guilty but I think all of us would have say that guilt would be one of the many crazy emotions rushing through our heart.

Hugs to you and your daughter ...