Old 01-22-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

The nurse may have offered Tylenol for pain as opposed to other drugs because it was easier on the liver. I''m not a doctor, but there is a reason why Tylenol was offered. Perhaps it's common to offer Tylenol instead of more powerful, addictive drugs for pain to addicts, since, they are, after all addicts. Or maybe it's effective in controlling his type of pain and something more powerful isn't needed.

I'd ask the nurse why she chose Tylenol before assuming that the hospital or it's staff is inept. Perhaps it is what his doctor ordered. In a situation of great stress and where an individual has no control to change the outcome, it's common to blame others who may not deserve blame. Just wanted to pop in here and point that out. More information is needed before a judgment of inappropriate or lack of care is made.

My heart goes out to you and your daughter. Have you researched end-stage liver disease? It may help you understand what your husband is going through and what the typical outlook is for someone with his stage of liver disease. It might also help you prepare yourself for what lies ahead down the road.