Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
MissGuided

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Wow - this scares me. 37? Only 37? It can happen that early? I had no idea. I thought that was a progressive disease that afflicted much older drinkers (like you said, 20 years from now).

I also can't comprehend the desire to continue drinking when you are faced with impending death. Is it really that powerful over people? Am I underestimating my AH's journey (because right now he just seems so happy and peaceful - I think that's called pink clouding).

My heart goes out to you, MissGuided. It makes my petty annoyances look ridiculous in light of what you are facing. My thoughts are with you and your baby.
Thankyou Tg! And hey your 'petty annoyances' ARE ANYTHING BUT! alcoholism has many tiers (and tears!)
This time last year I was extremely worried about AH's drinking and he was on the brink of entering rehab. The year before that I was concerned about his drinking but thought he would never drink enough to get cirhossis!! surely not!
stupid really.
I had to take him to hospital in 2005 because he was having trouble breathing , stomach pains etc. He was diagnosed with fatty liver.
this is what the doctor told him then...I will never forget her words.....
''Your liver has 100% chance of recovery but you must stop drinking. the road to cirhossis is very long but you are at the beginning of that road.''And what a treacherous journey to the end of that road it has been.
But back then, it was easy to think this day would never come.
And my thoughts back then were no more ridiculous or petty then the thoughts I have now. They were relevant to me at that time, just as yours are now. keep strong and I hope your AH finds recovery soon. hugs