Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
MissGuided

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
MG, you are correct. Cirrhosis causes ascites, not the other way around. Ascites can be caused by any kind of liver failure. The fluids cannot be processed and they leak. Esophageal bleeding (referred to by Laurie) can cause death.

It sounds to me like he has a bit of mental confusion. Whether that is from any kind of encephalopathy (my husband's encephalopathy cleared up over the course of a couple of months or so) or whether he is just overwhelmed and scared and not hearing things correctly isn't clear.

If he will permit you to sit in during a meeting with the doctor, you might be in a better position to ask the necessary questions. They may not know a lot of things for sure, but you can ask what they suspect and what they are basing that on.

There is a ton of info on the web about liver disease.

I know he's an ex, but as you said, he is a nice man and your daughter's father. I'm glad you are able to support him a bit through this. Just remember to take care of yourself, too.
Thank you Lexie, I am going to take care of myself too - Im extremely lucky to have a great support sytem in my friends and my own family. And now all you guys too!
i dont think he has mental confusion - yet. I think maybe he just heard it wrong and processed it the wrong way surely?
I am thinking I will know more tomorrow - I am not afraid to ask questions! You are right about all the info on the web - its almost overwhelming! ignorance is bliss? or knowledge is power?
I think the latter in this case, because every website on liver disease seems to say the same there are not really any discrepancies about it