View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 11:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ZombieWife

Originally Posted by Eiffy View Post
Thank you for that Beth. That has gotten through to me faster than anything else could possibly have. I will always smile hearing that safety anouncements on planes now

Just one question for anyone who might care to help. I know this is probably a stupid question but my boyfriend when asking if i wanted to go to nar anon offered to come with me.....however I was under the impression that it was a meeting for me alone and not for us both?
He could go. Nobody is stopping him. But, I have talked to a few folks on this board (who are substance abusers and go to the "substance abuse" section of the board). They come here and are pretty broad-sided by some of what we all talk about. One guy said it made him feel so guilty that he wanted to use again. If he does go, he'll be hearing people talk about how their addict hurt them and (for some) continues to hurt them. The stories might be very in your face and brutally honest. Can he handle that as someone who might have done some of what the people giving testimony are attesting to?

Some of the stories I've heard people relay at alanon/naranon meetings have to do with some really heavy stuff (death, OD'ing, suicide, etc). It would be hard for ANYONE who is an addict not to get a little defensive, I think.

Just something to consider.