View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
stella27

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post

I remember making myself pretty scarce when I was in the stage you're in.

You say you're done raising children but they still live at home it sounds like? How old are your kids? The reason I ask is because my Father was an alcoholic but not until I was well into my teens. Don't underestimate the effect this is having on your kids. You're emotionally impacted and could probably acknowledge several symptoms of depression, so isn't it safe to assume they could be too?
I used to walk with my girlfriends every night after supper. It was the highlight of my day. Simply because someone was talking to me and listening to me and laughing with me. The bright spot in my life was getting away from the drinking spouse in front of the television with his multiple beers. When I got home, assuming that the children were in bed, I would surf the net for a little while and then get myself ready for bed and read. I remember being very lonely.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Thank you, Jazzman, for reminding me of what it was like and how different my house is now. It's amazing how a non-engaged person in your house can exert such presence to change the mood of the whole family.