View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ananda

we have a man in one of our groups who i really respect, although we often disagree.

But one time after a speaker meeting (which his group has every week..often local which i think is important) I talked to him and he said...Alison...it isn't about how well they express the big book, or how they stay on topic...speakers come and speak from the heart..thats what I hear, thats what matters...

I knew in that moment that this very ridgid AA "got it" it isn't about a formula or doing it right...you speak and tell your story...sometimes it's very structured...sometimes we go all over the board and get off topic....it really doesn't matter...if you speak from the heart that is what touches the newcommer. That is what allows the miricle to happen.

The "professional" "circut speakers" never touch my heart the way that your garden variety alchoholic trying to express what his or her expereince is...even though it isn't "exactly big book" .... The ones who stand up in front of a group of drunks and just be as honest as they can...Thats what keeps me coming back.

Despite my struggles, it is the people who actually talk about the reality of where they are today and the challenges they faced today and how they worked through that...thats the jewel...thats the key to this program. We have a program, but we need to hear about not just how wonderful it is, but also about how people even with time in, struggle to "get it".

Our sponsors or spiritual advisors help us work the steps. Speakers help me realize we are real people, struggling and not always perfect. If your story is, I got sober and good....I match the bb, you don't help me so much as if you say...I'm in AA, I work the steps, I struggle with this that and the other even though I know this is the answer...WOW...you just inspired me to stay on this road!

Just my take