Old 01-18-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hopingforlife

I am confused about some behavior of alcoholics....

Hi. I am 37 and working to feel better after being raised by an alcoholic. I recently read a book about ACOA's and it seemed that many were, like myself, yelled at and berated constantly, sometimes for hours on end. Why do so many do that? At first i was thinking maybe many of them have personality disorders or mental disease such as depression and that's why they do it and their drinking is the self medicating part, but not sure that's it since sooooo many behave like this (or maybe they don't and my qualifier is just a particularly nasty person?)

What is the connection between drinking and then drunk or sober yelling at the people you live with for hours on end about how horrible they are? This is confusing me. I get the invalidating part, i get the shame cycle (which could contribute to some of the anger) by why are they so darn mean and hateful? I am very confused. They seem almost borderline personality disorder in behavior (not saying they are borderline, just that that is what their behavior is often like)

thanks.