Thread: On Display
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by Live View Post
He just needed more and more, right?
Yes. It's not so much the furniture, it's his clothing, and his overall spending habits. He'd buy things, spend $50 on it, then decide he doesn't want it and throw it away. I have a box in the den worth $600 to any self-respecting antiques dealer, it's one of the old general store coffee boxes, complete with lid and all original paint. He collects tons of things - DVDs, clothing (Polo is his favorite, although he has maxed out cards at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue), he owns at least one full tuxedo and about five $800+ suede jackets, antiques, books... He'll spend $2 for a one-page add in an old catalog, then $10 for a frame and $30 for a mat to hang it on the wall.
Then he decided I collect stuff, too, and picked all my collections - stamps, coins, kitchen angels, fiesta ware (I picked this one), animalhouse kitchen utensils, hand towels (LOL), art deco lamps (ALL over the bedroom), Annalee figurines, umbrellas, hats, old magazines...

Then there's the fancy dinners, hotels, trips, events, museum memberships, plays, etc. Here's the schedule he wanted for this Christmas, including the amount he intended to spend. (Only went to a couple, because then he got drunk and I hit my limit, keep in mind this is once per night, not simply once or twice a weekend):
Morimoto's - $160
Fleming's - $150
Anastasi - $90
Willow Inn - $60
Morton's Steakhouse - $120
Amada - $130
Estia - $120
Townhouse - $75
Savona - $120
Le Bec Fin - $250
Inn of the 7 Stars - $150
Le Castagne - $110
Porcini - $80
Blackfish - $90
Prime Rib Steakhouse - $140
Sansom Street Oyster House - $120
Tres Famiglia - $70
Na Brasa - $100
Butcher and Singer Steakhouse - $140

This is the list after I told him we had to cut back. He did add in three cheap places afterwards to show he was "cutting back" but he didn't really take any of the expensive ones out. I could have simply added the amounts and then mentioned that, but I think the list better conveys what he thinks he can accomplish / spend. But he can't.

He also spent $10k on Christmas gifts this year.