View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kassie2

Glad you are here. I would recommend reading the posties at the top of the forum. The more you learn and understand the better choices you can make.

I hear you frustration and it is common experience. I went through it for too long. Taking things away doesn't usually work. But the kids and I often reached for the keys as a bottom line. I thought if he wanted to walk to the bar and back - he was less likely to hurt someone else. I couldn't control whether or not he hurt himself.

What helped me in the long run was setting reasonable and rational limits with him. In other words, I couldn't expect him to stop drinking while drunk - but I didn't have to stick around while he was doing it. I carried a list of motels and a packed bag in my car. I had a friend who offerred her home or couch whenever. My kids had their father's apt or friends at any time. So, I got to be safe or at least a break when needed.

I also learned that I could keep doing things I thought were good for us all without interference from his threats because he either would adjust or leave. So I stopped being afraid. These things seemed to be the only things that penetrated his behavior, unfortunately it would never last.

Do what you can to take care of yourself, stay safe and get support.