View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bruingirl

Dating a recovering alcoholic

my boyfriend and i have been together for about a year now. this past summer he went to rehab for the first time after a dui and is now a recovering alcoholic. unlike him, i havent had a problem with alcohol and enjoy to drink once in a while with dinner, etc. we have briefly talked about what it would be like if we lived together and hes said that hes not cool with alcohol in the house. i dont know how to feel about that. to me having a bottle of wine around the house and the idea of drinking has never been a big deal to me. i also feel like if he is really going to take his recovery seriously then he needs to be able to and learn how to resist any temptation to drink, even if there is alcohol in the house. he gets mad when i tell him things like that and just responds that i dont understand. so i came here to see if anyone has advice? is it a big deal to have a bottle of wine or two in the house? is that a dealbreaker in a relationship with a recovering alcoholic? thanks a lot in advance