Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
skippernlilg
Skipper

That's true. If it weren't for the alcoholics and the addicts in our lives, we wouldn't even know anything about Al-anon. Al-anon was actually created after AA, so there ya go.

"helping facilitate his sobriety". ....see, that's his job, and the job of his sponsor, and the work of his program.

What you can do is understand how the program works, sure! Al-anon's tenants are closely based on the same principles as outlined in AA. I have found lots of compassion and understanding since starting my program. If you went back a few months, here, I posted some really mad posts about our situation! So, I've changed. For the Better.

And that's where the dynamic of my relationship with RABF will, hopefully, change. But that's not the key to my change. It's helping me in all aspects of my life. I feel more confident, and I didn't even think I had an issue with confidence.

I can be happy whether RABF is drinking or not. Of course, it's mostly because I don't have to witness it right now. He is at his mother's. And he may or may not be drinking. I don't really know for sure. We're at the Don't Ask, Don't Tell portion of this. When I'm ready to talk about blending our lives more, then we will talk about that, I suppose. I get to say what I'm ready for now, and it's wonderful!

So this is MY program. I am sharing it with RABF with my actions, but learning in my program that I don't have to ask him about his, really at all. Sometimes, we talk about whether he's in a program at all, and I don't think he is, but, again, that's not mine to fret over.

>>>>I love it that you get facials and massages!! I could do that after I get off this student budget....

What I think you will gain from your Al-anon meetings are:

resources, like books, people to contact, and certain tenants, meditations.

You will have your opportunity to bond with your Primary Relationship, your HP, and then everything else falls into place.

You will learn more about how to love your alcoholic with a little bit of distance, which sometimes helps you get some clarity on the whole picture.

You will learn how to give yourself a break, that you're not responsible for every little thing he does or even how your family will be led.