Thread: Newcomer
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kitty72

Newcomer

Hi everyone, good to be here.

I have been down this road before, I joined AA in Spring of 2009. I had many stresses in my life at the time and was terribly depressed. My heart was not in AA. I just went along to meetings and saw them as social events. I flirted with many guys there (Even went on a bender with one... guess the rest). I continued to drink.

Then in Summer of 2009 a miracle happened and my big problem was taken away from me. I thought that would be the end of my problem drinking and for a while it was. I 'drank like normal people' I had a rule to never drink alone again.

But it sneaks back up on you doesnt it? I was back to drinking wine in the house these last 6 months or so and it escalated. Ending with a 4 day bender last week (Weds- Sat) with involved 10 bottles of wine and a litre of White Rum. I was physically unable to drink anymore and had the DTs pretty bad on Sunday. Consiidering I am currently on warfarin and my INR levels went sky high as a result, that was pretty dangerous for me.

My withdrawal has not been too painful, AA meetings and I have got myself a sponsor. I am concentrating on the Big Book as well. I have had mild symptoms such as extreme tiredness and then insomnia, night sweats and a feeling like I am in a bit of a fog. I am feeling better now at the end of day 5. Although I did not sleep well last night, I had the energy to spend a nice afternoon with a friend after I had some bloods done. Thankfully my INR levels are now back to normal.

I admitted to my GP my problem and he has commended my decision to go to AA and has prescribed me 30 days worth of Campral and wants to see me for a chat in a month.

I am worried though, is this the death of my social life? A large group of friends are going out on Saturday Night and I just cannot go with them. Some of them know my issues but as my problem drinking was not done in front of others, they just think I am being silly and over dramatic.

I am a divorced female in my late 30s in the UK. Looking forward to making new friends.