View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
stella27

I am sorry that you are disappointed with all these new things you are learning about him. I agree that you should slow yourself down mentally and take the relationship slowly before you allow him full access to your life and your daughter's.

You should probably take some time to read the sticky notes at the top of this page about alcoholism. It's not something I would willingly take on again, and at a minimum, you must learn about the condition. You can't make accurate decisions about your life as far as he is concerned without a full working knowledge of what to expect.

It bears mention that you haven't had access to all of his life due to the distance involved and the parts of his existence that you didn't know about - including his excessive drinking. If he and his mom agreed that he needed rehab, then he must be relatively advanced.

I advise you to stay here with us, read, learn, and put some boundaries in place (as you should in any relationship - not just one with an alcoholic). You will learn a lot more with time.