Old 01-12-2011, 04:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Phoenixthebird
Rising from the Ashes

Yakety yak! May be more than just your imagination!

Yakety yak (don't talk back)! Click here to hear the tune and read the words: Lyrics and Music
Artists: The Coasters; words and music by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller
Wonder, if I'm showing my age here! But I've always have liked that song!

However, after having had enough one-way conversations with my DDH...... him talking and me, learning how to listen with half my hearing...... instinctively knowing when to inject my small acknowledgements that I'm still listening......and after reading enough posts to recognize this exhaustive talking by alcoholics, it is a common problem, to many of us here on SR. I've had an AaawwwHHHAaa! moment! And I was RIGHT!

I believe my DDH has undiagnosed ADHD. A medical study conducted by Monika Johann, medical doctor and research associate at the University of Regensburg and author of the study has stated "Our results indicate that individuals with persisting ADHD symptoms in adulthood seem to be at high risk of developing an alcohol-use disorder. Moreover, there is evidence for a highly increased severity of alcohol dependence in subjects with ADHD. Adult alcoholics with ADHD had a significantly higher daily and record intake of alcohol per month, an earlier age of onset of alcohol dependence, a higher frequency of thoughts about suicide, a greater number of court proceedings, and a greater occurrence of APD (antisocial personality disorder). Alcoholics with ADHD in adulthood are five to 10 times more frequent than in the normal population."

"Compared to alcoholics without ADHD, alcoholics with ADHD in adulthood were at least four years younger at onset of alcoholism, drank about 50 grams pure alcohol more per day during the previous month, had a nearly twofold higher rate of first-degree positive family history of alcoholism, had a nearly three times higher frequency of antisocial personality disorder, had a nearly seven times higher frequency of court proceedings, and had a more than two times higher frequency of suicidal thoughts."[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR="darkred"][B]"We see on a regular basis that drug addicts with ADHD are difficult to handle. They start to abuse drugs earlier than other people, change earlier to 'hard' drugs, take longer to start treatment, and take longer to successfully finish therapy."

"ADHD seems to be highly underestimated in adulthood yet seems to be an important risk factor for the development of alcohol dependence."

"It is estimated that 3 to 5 percent of children in the U.S. have ADHD, however, it is difficult to predict how many of these children will still have it as adults. Recent studies estimate that between 30 to 70 percent of children with ADHD will still experience symptoms of the disorder as adults."

"The symptoms of adult ADHD are the same as those experienced by children with ADHD, but it is usually more difficult to recognize these symptoms in adults."

The three primary characteristics of ADHD are:
1.Impulsivity
2.Hyperactivity
3.Inattentiveness

In many cases, individuals will have a history of failures in school, and work or will experience bouts of anxiety or depression related to ADHD.

To be diagnosed with adult ADHD, the individual must:
Have symptoms that began in childhood.
Experience persistent symptoms that create problems in one or more life areas.
Exhibit current symptoms of the disorder.

Psychotherapy can help the individual learn more about adult ADHD and discover tips and techniques to manage it. The medications used to treat adult ADHD are usually similar to those used by children with the disorder.

If an adult is concerned they may have ADHD, where do they start?

The following link will take you to a screening test for ADHD, called ASRS or Adult Self Report Scale screener, which was developed with the World Health Organization.
About.com: http://psych.med.nyu.edu/files/psych/attachments/psych_adhd_screener.pdf

References:
Adult ADD - Symptoms of Adult ADD
Adult Alcoholism and ADHD are Connected
ADHD Individuals at High Risk

This information is only for the codependent! No, you're NOT going crazy! Your alcoholic MIGHT actually have ADHD! Remember you can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink! You didn't CAUSE it! You can't CONTROl it! and you can't CURE it!

Just my personal opinion. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Love and Peace,

Phoenix