SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - What is with the term "functional"?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
ItsmeAlice

When you recognize that someone can hold down a high-status job, keep a driver's license and sustain relationships with family members --in essence, function the way non-alcoholics do -- AND still be an alcoholic, you're breaking the wino-under-the-bridge stereotype.

I agree, Daughter. Thanks for posting that.

Every time my EX and I would have one of those useless conversations about addiction and seeking help, he would tell me he wasn't an alcoholic because he wasn't blacked out in the gutter homeless without a job. Most of his coworkers didn't know he drank the way he did and his family was unaware of the depth of it as well. Had I known that there was such a concept as having an addiction to anything and still holding life together however tenuously, I might have understood sooner what I was up against.

In our time together, I saw the progressive nature of alcoholism in his case, I saw how my enabling made his drinking less apparent, and I saw how when I stepped out of the way of his disease, he could no longer keep it together.

Even as bad as it had gotten before we went our separate ways, I still had trouble explaining why to some friends and family. They just didn't "see it," and they too expected an alcoholic to be the age-old stereotype.

Great discussion!

Alice
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ItsmeAlice For This Useful Post:
coyote21 (01-11-2011), daughter333 (01-11-2011), Learn2Live (01-11-2011)