Thread: 11 days sober
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ISPYSOBRIETY

Welcome and congratulations. I drank about the same amount nightly. It had to be just enough to get me hammered pretty good, then eat and run off to bed, unless it was a weekend, where I could continue to drink until my body was too tired to stay awake any longer.

A long story short, that life that I got used to caught up with me after having a couple drinks at an uncles place, leaving (feeling fine) and crashing my car into a ditch on a corner on an old country road (rolling several times) after I saw a flash of brake lights and reacted.

My kids were in the car with me! Thank God, they didn't get a scratch. NOT ONE SCRATCH. But I had been beaten up pretty good. At the hospital, an officer requested a blood test. I agreed. The results DUI.

12k worth of car written off, 5k in lawyers fees that could hit 7k, license facing suspension, shame disgrace, a dirty license (haven't had a ticket in 15 years), possible pending fines and if the judge is in a bad mood, maybe jail...

That night could have harmed others, my children or myself. I gave up alcohol completely that night. It no longer has a place in my life, except for my past.

All worked out fine. It was an expensive lesson but I am free. The most important thing is, I woke up the next day being able to call my kids on the phone, alive and well, as we move forward into our new, second chance at life.

That's what my drinking habits (just like yours) brought to me. And I never dronve when I was drinking. Always stayed home. Just took that one night for a car to hit it's brakes and alchol tagged me good.

I can't live my life like that. I live free or die!

Going on 5 months on Saturday night. No regrets except for not quitting sooner, like you and many of the others on SR.

I hope none of you ever have to go through the feeling this bad, daily, nightly, over and over, every single day.

It's a mistake doesn't change the facts.

Good luck!