View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 03:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Phoenixthebird
Rising from the Ashes

Hayfmr, now let me see your AW was admitted to the ER with a BAC of .46% after a 10 day vodka binge. According to the Wikipedia, Blood alcohol content - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
at that level she was beyond the stage of being stupor, loss of understanding, impaired sensations, severe motor impairment, loss of consciousness and memory and that is at the 0.21–0.29 BAC level. It took 5 hours and an IV to get her level down enough to admit her into detox, and she is only going to be into detox between 24 hours to 48 hours. Now she wants her recovery program to consist of a DVD and a reading book to be worked by herself. It sounds like she is still in denial. She will still have urges for her addiction......alcohol! Your AW's chosen recovery program will not work for the betterment of herself. I hate to say it, but I vision your AW sitting on the sofa, with the book on the coffee table, watching the DVD in the television set, accompanied with her bottle of vodka.

I strongly recommend she finds an inpatient rehab, long enough to hinder her urges for her addiction, surrounded by other alcoholics, and supporting staff. The very least she needs is to attend AA meetings like her life depends upon it, because it does! It sounds to me, unfortunately, your AW has not reached her "bottom". Every alcoholic has a different "bottom", a place where they have no other direction to look but up!

Remember the three "C"s of Al-Anon: We didn't cause it!......We can't control it!......We can't cure it!

What are you going to do for yourself? Are you going to allow your AW to become your main focus? Do you have children? Are you going to allow your AW influence their lifes? It's NOW time for you to start concentrating on you and your family! You need to attend as many Al-Anon meetings as you can attend like your life depends upon it, because it does! Continue to reach out here on SR. Someone here has been where you are.....they lived through it......and they survived it!

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Phoenix