Old 01-06-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

Consider therapy and Al-Anon...

I truly believe, and I am not a big therapy person or labeling my ills person, that, as a result of my 10 year marriage to an alcoholic, I am suffering from many of the symptoms of PTSD and Hypervigilance disorder.

What you are describing applies to me as well. It resonates with my fully and completely. I'm encouraging you to see a therapist around this.

Take care,

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by lifewenton View Post
I was married to an alcoholic man for 10 years. During the course of that time, I had to learn to predict his actions or non actions to keep myself, our kids and everyone else safe. I lost complete sight of who I was and the sense of just being able to live in the moment. I know that that is part of the life of being with someone who is an alcoholic. After the divorce, I started to slowly remember the things which I once loved and enjoyed. I can't even tell you the last time I was this happy.

But the one thing that hasn't come back to me is the ability to just be in the moment. We have been divorced for 2 years and I still am trying to predict the outcome of everything. It doesnt matter if its work, school, home or relationships with guys. I overthink everything down to what someone means in a text or what I should text back. I don't know how to just let things be and live in the moment. Can anyone else relate to this? If so can how do you let go and give up that control?