View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
KittyP

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
What helped me get my head around the subject was to think of addiction as it's most common denominator, a chemical dependency. Drugs alter brain chemistry and people forget alcohol is a drug.
I think it's also worth remembering that just about every single unnecessary substance we consume can create chemical dependency if we aren't careful. Caffeine, processed sugar, certain types of fats, etc. I know that if I don't drink coffee I get a rotten headache by the early afternoon. It's really awful, like my head is trapped in a vice. That headache will continue nagging at me for several days if I don't get a hold of some caffeine, in some people it can continue on for weeks.

Long-term alcohol dependency is much, much worse as it has such a detrimental effect on the (b) receptors for GABA, which is our main inhibitory neurotransmitter . This has a negative impact on such a wide range of our emotional and physical abilities. It also blocks Thiamine production, which helps regulate mood and rationality. Withdrawal from long-term alcohol abuse can take years and years to end (time depends on the level of abuse and perhaps, the initial susceptibility of the Gaba(b) receptors).

The post acute withdrawal (5 days to 2 weeks) which is highly visible to the observer, sweats, panic attacks, speeded up heart rate, etc,. Is very much only the beginning of withdrawal. While it looks, and can initially feel, like normality is restored after the first withdrawal phase, it's unlikely to be. It's why so many people go through an inpatient detox/rehab and come out seeming great but return again to alcohol abuse very quickly. Imo, it's why people need to remain very careful for quite a long time after quitting and why they can be prone to mood swings and irrationality.

As to how responsible for their actions they are, that's a tough one. They are effectively brain damaged during abuse and withdrawal. My opinion is that a certain amount of leeway can be given, but if someone hurts you, emotionally/physically/however, it's up to you about how much forgiveness you can give.