View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Verbena

I used to try and talk with my husband about his drinking and I failed miserably time after time because my husband was an alcoholic. That meant that he had a broken brain, compromised by alcohol. His brain had been hijacked by booze and there wasn't a thing I could do about it.

I finally decided to put myself first. I decided to work on getting what I wanted out of living. I did take the time to read and study and learn all I could about alcoholism so I know what I'm dealing with. I spend as much time as I can doing what makes me feel fulfilled and happy.

I keep what I call my Booze Book. It's a combination personal journal and collection of articles that helps me keep focused on my good day. Even though my husband isn't physically abusive, like other alcoholics he has a nasty mouth on occasion. He's a sweetie pie when he's sober.

I'm not stupid. I started a lock box. It's a place I've started stashing cash, important papers etc. should the day ever come that I need to walk out the door.

I urge you to go to Al-anon or get some counseling for yourself.

I will apologize in advance if I am intruding into areas that are none of my business, but do not have a child with this man until you thoroughly understand your situation and know where you stand.