Thread: One year later
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Lo0p

I hesitate to respond to any questions here because I am very short on time and can only try to give them my full attention. I am also posting this using my Android phone because I do not currently have an internet connection and it is time consuming to do so.

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
What is baclofen? Did your Dr prescribe it?
Baclofen is an old medication used to treat muscle spasticity. It has been discovered recently that is very effective at treating addictions.

I used to order it over the internet but now my doctor does prescribe it.

It has completely freed me of my addiction to alcohol.

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
So, what you're saying is that you take this addictive drug so that you "aren't an alcoholic anymore". Hmmm.
"The absence of addictive properties of baclofen represents a feature of paramount importance for the pharmacological treatment of alcohol
addicted patients." Int J Clin Pract, August 2006, 60, 8, 1003–1008.pdf

"has no known abuse potential" from wikipedia

^ Carter, LP.; Koek, W.; France, CP. (Jan 2009). "Behavioral analyses of GHB: receptor mechanisms." (PDF). Pharmacol Ther 121 (1): 100–14. doi:10.1016/j.pharmthera.2008.10.003. PMID 19010351.
^ Carter LP, Koek W, France CP (October 2008). "Behavioral analyses of GHB: Receptor mechanisms". Pharmacol. Ther. 121 (1): 100–14. doi:10.1016/j.pharmthera.2008.10.003. PMID 19010351. PMC 2631377.

Baclofen does cause physical dependency, much like someone who is dependent on blood pressure medication. It is dangerous to discontinue blood pressure medication. Likewise it is dangerous to abruptly discontinue baclofen. It is necessary to taper the dose downward over the course of several days or weeks when discontinuing it.

No single instance of addiction to baclofen has ever been reported.

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Did you quit drinking or do you still drink?
That is a difficult question for me to answer. I can if I want to, but I don't ever want to anymore. I could say that I am abstinent, but that implies effort.

The last drink I had was a glass of fine red wine, maybe a couple of months ago now. I remember thoroughly enjoying it, but I finished it and did not want another one. The next day I forgot about it. I still have the bottle in my cupboard, but I don't ever feel inclined to have another glass.

In early October I went to a wedding. It was in a Vets hall with a bar and I was offered so many alcoholic drinks that I finally got fed up. I went to the bar and ordered a bud light. I tipped the bartender $10 and asked him to keep my beer in the fridge and to pull it out whenever I came to the bar. So I carried it around for a while and it stopped all the nuisance of people offering to buy me drinks. Then I'd give it to the bartender and he'd put it in the fridge for me for a while. I had the champagne toast. By the end of the night I had drank 1/4 of the beer and the champagne toast.

I guess the most accurate answer to your questions would be no I didn't quit drinking, but no I don't still drink.