Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
callie212

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I am not an obsessive compulsive person by nature - I am just low on that spectrum. I'm a bit compulsive about keeping track of my money now though. I keep track of every dime and where it goes. I have a spreadsheet with dozens of 'line items' and I separate paper towels from groceries from cat food even if I have to go down a list for $300 worth of junk at Walmart to do it. I think that simply comes from years of scrambling and trying so hard to keep track of money to pay the bills when someone else was always sabotaging the family budget (but always the first to enthusiastically make a new budget or get excited about a new plan - my god how crazy making - words and follow through actions were so opposite). I had zero ability/success with planning anything for the future (near or far) with our money and felt so insecure because of it.
I do this same thing as well. I like my excel version of my checkbook! I separate each section out by payday and then list all the bills I need to pay before the next payday and then put an estimate for food and gas and then I can estimate weeks ahead. Something always happened and I wouldn't get a deposit I needed from him or he would steal money or overspend if I trusted him to go get gas/groceries and I would have to re-do the whole thing putting things on different payweeks.

I never even looked at it since he left on Dec 5th. I didn't pay any bills, nothing. Just bought what I needed at the store and a few Christmas gifts. I was so happy last night to finally go through everything and see exactly how much money I have. I got a $300 bonus in my last paycheck 2 weeks ago and never even knew because I have been too depressed to even look at my finances!

I don't see that I will ever change in this aspect, but I hope that now that I am in control of my own budget I will not obsess over it and balance it as often.