View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

Ewwww, yuck. This thread brings back so many (awful) memories for me. Yes, an alcoholic can quit for two weeks. My AH once quite for four months. What a horrible four months that was. He resented me for "making" him give up alcohol and took it out on me nearly every day. After a while, I actually wanted him to drink again just to end the misery.

I think alcohol gets way too much credit/blame in these situations. That's why I don't like the term "dry drunk." It implies that, even though the alcohol is out of the picture, it's still to blame for the behavior. The behavior is what matters, not the alcohol. If he's a jerk when he drinks, and a jerk when he doesn't drink, then maybe he's just a jerk? Maybe it's not the alcohol at all?

Is his behavior acceptable to you? Are you excusing it because the poor dear can't have a drink? Do you excuse his behavior when he's drinking because the poor dear has a disease? Try to go beyond the rationalizing and justifying and ask yourself if you want to spend your life with someone who behaves in the ways he is behaving. It's really not as complicated as it seems. As they say, simple, but not easy.

L