View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MamaDuck101

Is this really what an Addict does?

Last night I sat down with my AH and tried to explain to him how his behavior has been affecting my family and I, especially when he drinks. And I further went on to explain how I "Thought" he was a functional alcoholic. Well things turned from civil to heart breaking.
It went from me being the loving girlfriend to him saying that I no longer loved him, or that I was trying to "get out" of the relationship. Or I could not "accept" who he was anymore. And After that point I told him if he could not take control of himself or his life and stop drinking that I could no longer live with him. I didn't really get a response after that except for the "Fine!" He yelled at me while exiting the house for a smoke.
I told him over and over that his addiction was going to be the end of our relationship, and all he had to say was "You knew what you were getting yourself into when we first started dating." Yes I knew that, and that was before things got serious and we decided to have children together. There was also a pause in which he started to compare himself to other people and how much they drank! I'm new to SR and how alcoholics work so I don't know what to think about any of this. I don't know if i'm really crazy and he isn't a AH or if this is just what addicts do.
The conversation was not in my favor at all and did not go as planned... I had hoped for a realization on his part.
After all was said and done and this argument didn't last for more than ten minutes before he was calm again and watching TV. I must say that he did not have one drink that day either so is that a coincidence? We went to bed and didn't discuss it any further. I was so close to just saying sorry for everything I had said to him! He got up this morning kissed me goodbye and went to work... Like nothing happened. I do not know what will happen later I'm just hoping for the best.